Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Brother Harry and Salvation

Yesterday I attended the funeral of a man that I loved and admired very much. He was an awesome man of God and a source of both comfort and inspiration when my husband was going through his battle with cancer. His name was Harry Stuart (Brother Harry to his family from Grace Community Baptist Church) He also had cancer but NEVER let it get him down. His motto was that he was in a win/win situation. If he continued to live here on Earth, he won because he got to spend more time with his family that he was so devoted to. If he passed away, he would also win because he would be with His heavenly father. This was something he was so confident in and was willing to share with EVERYONE that he met. Though I have that same assurance, I definitely don't have his boldness to share it with everyone I meet. It is something that I am not proud of but something I long for. I wish I had that boldness. That is one area of my life that I struggle with and am constantly working on. Evangelism is definitely not my spiritual gift. I think part of the reason I am uncomfortable with sharing salvation with others is that I'm just not sure how to present it so that others really understand. I am currently reading a book called The Ultimate Makeover by Sharon Jaynes. This book gives the most awesome explanation of salvation and our need for it that I have ever read!!!! Although the book was written for women, the beginning of the book and its explanation of salvation is perfect for anyone. I am reading this book very slowly because I want to truly take to heart every part of it. I want to memorize the way salvation is explained in this book so that I can use it when talking to others about it. At the funeral, Brother Dean shared Brother Harry's favorite verse, Romans 10:9. "That if you confess with your mouth, "Jesus is Lord," and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved." Last night when I got home and began reading my book, guess what verse was in the very first sentence I read. Yep, Romans 10:9. Since I don't believe in coincidence, I know that this is a truth that God was driving home to me in my quest to be able to share salvation with others. I pray that He will continue to use the experience in my life to reveal His truths to me in ways that I see them for what they are and can use them to share Him with others.

No comments:

Post a Comment