Saturday, March 21, 2009

A Day Spent on My Knees

Today was an AWESOME day!! I woke up about 8:30 and had coffee with my husband. We talked about our plans for the day and decided we would work in the yard. We got dressed and headed to Lowe's to begin our adventure. Even though we have always lived in the country, my husband has never been one to spend much time doing yard work other than mowing. However, since moving here, he seems to have developed a desire to do so (another great change that has occurred since our move here to Aubrey). So off we go to Lowe's for some new stone to redo one of the flower beds in our front yard and all the stuff to go along with that including FLOWERS!!! A couple hours and a couple hundred dollars later we arrive home and begin our day of yard work. I spent the rest of the day on my hands and knees, digging to level the area for the stones, weeding (getting rid of dandelions), taking out the old mulch and getting the beds ready for planting. Although the time spent with my husband was very enjoyable, the time I spent alone was equally enjoyable. Anytime I am outside, I feel close to my heavenly Father and I am always amazed by something new I see. Today was no different. As I was weeding and pulling up the million (okay maybe not that many) dandelions from my flower beds, I started thinking how sometimes life resembles dandelions. The dandelions are unwanted yet unavoidable weeds in our yards and flower beds just as sin is an unwanted yet unavoidable weed in our lives. Like the dandelion, sin can be pretty for a season but if we let it continue to grow in our lives, it will spread to all areas and affect everyone around us. After thinking about this all afternoon and reflecting on the areas in my life that I let get out of control, I decided to do some reading on the dandelion. I was surprised to find out that, although it is an unwanted weed, it is beneficial to our yards and gardens. The dandelion helps to aerate our soil and make the "good" things in our yards grow even better. They also attract ladybugs which feed on the aphids that sometimes attack our flower and vegetable gardens. Again, I thought how appropriate. Sin is also beneficial in strange sort of way. The sin in our lives causes us hardships that remind us of our need for a merciful and grace giving God (our ladybug). He forgives us and cleanses us (feeds on our aphids). These "weeds" in our life are essential to us growing in our Christian walk and help us to grow into the beautiful "flowers" God intended us to be. Like I said anytime I am outside and spend time talking to and listening to my heavenly Father, He always shows me something new. I will never look at the dandelion in the same way and won't be so quick to get rid of all of them. I need that reminder of the sin in my life and the need to confess it to my Savior. Well, I spent most of the day on my knees weeding my flower beds and now I will go and spend some more time on my knees "weeding" the flower beds of my soul. After all, I only want beautiful flowers to grow there!!!!

1 comment: